Thursday, October 05, 2006

Phobia much?

So last night I headed to bed around 11, about an hour past my bedtime so I was tired and ready to hit the sheets. Upon entering our bedroom I spotted a spider on the wall by the window, he was about the size of a nickel in total which by my standards is def. big enough. I stood there and stared it down for about a minute before deciding that there was no way I could sleep in the bedroom knowing he was there lurking. My first instinct was to pick up a shoe but that meant I had to get within arms length of the beast. So then I saw our baseball bat and thought I could use that because I wouldnt have to get very close. So I grabbed it and walked over near the spider and just stood there and hyperventilated, I couldn't bring myself to get close enough to hit it. I kept thinking I would miss or bust a hole in the wall. My next brilliant idea was to put a shoe on the end of the bat. That way I didnt risk putting a hole in the wall and it gave more of an "area" to hit the spider with. Again, I crept up to the spider and stared it down but couldn't bring myself to move. At this point I'm crying a little and I'm tired and all I want to do is go to bed. As a last ditch effort I wondered if we had some raid-type stuff under the sink, so I put the bat down and ran into the kitchen, after searching under the fridge I was unable to find any bug spray, all I could come up with was Lysol. I figured thatmight work since its chemical and it would probably poison the little bastard. Unfortunately as I hurried back into the room I noticed that the wall where the spider had previously been was now empty...the little bastard could be anywhere.

This is where I seriously begin to freak out. Because now I have no idea where he is, but I know he is in the bedroom. I kept asking myself why it had to come into the bedroom while Eddie was gone. I had seen him near the ceiling in the living room a couple days ago and it wasn't that big of a deal. I decided to start calling people, I thought if I could get ahold of someone who could calm me down i might be able to get to sleep, although I was definately considering sleeping on the couch. I called my mom first but nobody answered at home and her cell phone went right to voice mail. Then I called my dads cell phone and his phone went to voicemail as well. I was pretty sure Eddie couldn;t answer his phone but I tried anyways and then I finally called Janessa but she didnt answer either.

Now I'm frustrated, tired, angry and upset. I realize that I NEED to get to bed, so I begin to scan the room over and over hoping the little bugger will show himself but no luck. I tear the sheets back to make sure he hasn't snuck into my bed and then I slowly climb in. I take the lysol and spray all around my bed, imagining that this is creating a sort of invisible barrier that the spider won't want to cross, I also convince myself that having the dogs in bed with me will keep him away. I lay in bed for about 15 minutes with my glasses and the light for my alarm clock on repeatedly scanning the room. I finally take my glasses off, but I have decided to sleep with the clock light on, thinking that maybe as long as the light is on he will stay whereever he is hiding. I think that if its dark he might decide to come out of hiding and creep into my bed or my hair.

Eventually I fell asleep. But I woke up every 30 minutes or so, probably because of the light. Sir DIdymus was confused by the light, he kept htinking it was time to get up which wasn't helping me sleep either. I had a restless sleep and finally at about 4am I rolled over and turned the light off but I continued to wake up every so often until my alarm went off at 7:15.

I really hate spiders. What am I going to do when Eddie is in Iraq?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

girl.. i saw you called me and tried to call you back but no one answered... if you call me past like 9pm your time.. i know something is wrong. :)

i am just as scared of spiders as you.. hope the dog eats it! hahaha