Although my vacation to the Outer Banks was an entire week, I have to admit there's not a lot of excitement to report. My VA parents, gramma Ro, my brother Justin and his girlfriend Po, and Eddie and I made our way to OBX on the 17th to stay a week at the beach. My parents rented a house in Corolla that was right on the beach, it was fabulous. We basically spent the week enjoying the view, looking for dolphins, eating, drinking, looking for shells, lounging by the pool, and playing the wii my dad brought. It was exactly the vacation I needed after a hard semester at school and all the stress that came with graduating and starting a new job. One of the highlights of the trip had to be seeing my gramma wear the giant flavor flav clock necklace that my dad made for her since she's apparently a huge fan of "The Flavor of Love," which in itself is comical. I have some pictures of her sporting the clock and the gold chains to go along with it, but I haven't figured out how to put pictures on this here blog thingy. It's on my list of things to do, so stay tuned.
In the meantime I'll elaborate on my Memorial Day weekend activities. Eddie and I came back from OBX on Saturday night. Sunday afternoon our friends Scot and Liz came over with their son Wyatt to spend some time in our pool and enjoy the nice weather and some cocktails and a "staycation" since they weren't traveling but instead staying in town to vacation at our house. Eddie and Scot spent a majority of the day running and jumping over the side of the pool doing various tricks while Liz and I hung out on the deck and Wyatt took a nap. And then an idea was born - on Monday we would host the first annual Staycation Olympics. We didn't have any real ideas about what the events would be but we knew we definitely needed to purchase a slip n' slide.
We got a late start Monday, things didn't get going until about 2 pm. We set up a dual two-lane slip n' slide and realized it wasn't long enough for adults to use. So Eddie and Scot headed to Kmart and bought two single slip n' slides and we lined them up with the other one to make one long, 2 lane slide. Scot and Eddie went first and hilarity ensued. They had to go down the slip n' slide and make it all the way to the end, run to the fence and take a shot, jump into the pool (making sure to clear the side) and then run back to the start and chug a beer. Needless to say it was hilarious to watch, especially because Scot started it all off by pushing Eddie out of the way. Once they both jumped into the pool they wrestled to the death to try and keep the other one from getting out. Liz and I tried the same thing and from the moment we started I couldn't stop from laughing which made it difficult to run, but especially difficult to chug a beer at the end while laughing and trying to breathe after all the running. The guys went for a second round, this time adding in more running and an obstacle to jump over. Liz and I decided to forgo the additional running and obstacles but we did change it up and start out the race by chugging a beer-I'm guessing you can figure where this is going. The minute I hit the slip n' slide I was done for. I had to drag myself over to the side and just wait for the technicolor yawn. Fabulous. All in all it was really fun and we plan to have the second annual Staycation Olympics next Memorial Day weekend with more events to participate in.
And on a side note, I am thrilled to report that I was able to successfully use the word "staycation" in a story that was printed in the newspaper today!
Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
oof. olympic vomiting. doesn't make it any less disgusting, sadly.
um, didn't know a pool had gone in??? you *really* need to do some serious updating.
Post a Comment