So, although everything seems to be looking up for us right now, I have still managed to find some things to complain about, mainly associated with UNCW. Heres the thing, I'm 25 years old and a senior level college student but they are still requiring me to attend transfer orientation and pay them $75 to do so. I think thats pretty lame. I don't need to waste an entire day and $75 for someone to tell me where the library is and who to call if I have a question about financial aid. BUT, it is a requirment to attend orientation and one cannot register for classes until they have been to orientation which happens to be 5 days before the start of classes which will leave me with lots of options I'm sure (note the sarcasm). Lets add to that the fact that I have to get a freakin physical which is a waste of time and yet again something I have to pay for. Finally, you have to send in a $100 enrollment deposit, non refundable. So basically, they just want more money. Even worse is the fact that they don't even evaluate your transcripts until after you send them the money, so I have no idea at this point how many of my credits they are accepting. What if they decide not to accept any of them (which is highly doubtful but I'm playing devils advocate right now) and I've already paid them this non refundable $100, its not worth it to me to attend a school that is going to not only ask me for a random $100 but also require me to pay them for all the credits that they didnt accept so I can re-take them at their institution. Its so annoying how financially driven schools can be.
Despite all of the negative things I can find to complain about there are three positives. One, I got my financial aid info in the mail and they are giving me the maximum amount allowed for an independant senior level student. BONUS! Two, their English program looks pretty sweet. I am particularly excited about the classes entitled "Writing for Magazines" and "Memoir Writing", ODU doesn't really have any classes that are that specialized. Finally, one of the professors in the criminal justice department wrote this awesome book that everyone should read called "Welcome to the Ivory Tower of Babel" which basically condemns the ridiculous level of political correctness in this country and is really a great read. Even though I'm not a crim justice major I def. plan to take his class...and get him to autograph my book.
Friday, June 30, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment