Saturday, August 20, 2005

chikity china

So today I went to get my nails done, as per the usual bi-weekly trip. I go to this little place called "K-nails" thats right around the corner in this small strip mall (I could probably walk there in five minutes or less but its so fucking hot here that I drive so I won't be covered in sweat once I get there).

What does the "K" stand for, you ask? I have no idea...the dude that used to own the place was named Don (insert something asian that starts with an S) and now the owner is a little asian lady named Wendy. I often ponder what the "K" might stand for as my nails are being permanantely damaged by the acrylic powder and other chemicals being applied to them....but gosh they look perdy when they're done! If you've ever been to a chikity china nail place then you will know what I am talking about when I ask m"why the hell do they get to wear the little SARS face masks, and I don't? I assume they wear them so that they don't breath in the acrylic powder they file and drill into and off of my nails. And I assume thats because the acryclic powder and the fumes associated with it, are toxic and harmful if ingested. And yet, I sit there, bare faced, breathing away...all because its cheaper and faster than the competitors. Oh the price we pay for beauty in this country....

Onto the real reason I even decided to update today. I used to go to my hairdresser to have my eyebrows waxed ( I only recently discovered the beauty of eyebrow waxing as opposed to plucking). It cost me 12 bucks to have her do it, no big deal, I have plucking. My hairdresser is over by our old apartment, and the chikity china only charge 7 bucks, so I decided to give it a go while I was already there today getting my nails done. My hairdresser only waxed the under part of my eyebrows and the center. Since thats the only experience I have had with brow waxing thus far I figured that was standard. So I was a bit suprised when the chikity china also waxed above my brows. And then, she plucked little stray hairs. I felt that she paid more attention and that it seemed I was getting more for my money, and less money at that....then she showed me the mirror. Oh the horror! Ok don't worry, I know you wish you could see a picture but its not all bad. I have always had very full eyebrows, not busy, just full, and I have always kept their natural shape. So, needless to say, when I saw the new brows (read-what everyone else in america has, the tapered look) I almost pissed my pants because my face felt naked.

I went home and Eddie didn't die in horror immediately upon seeing me, in fact he didn't notice for about an hour (but big kudos to him for noticing, what a guy!) he assured me that they look good, I will be gathering further opinions to decide if I will keep my new more svelte brows, or if I will grow them into their more natural state.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well girl.. i aint gonna lie.. i am biased and prolly love you no matter what..

although i also used to call eyebrows the 4 pieces of hair that i kept above my eyes! :)