Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Student Body

Here's what I would like to know...when did we start dressing up to attend college classes? I am beginning to think I missed the memo. And when I say "dressing up" I'm not referring to actually putting on jeans and a t-shirt as opposed to rolling up in your pajamas; I'm talking about full on makeup, hair, jewelry, short skirts....and high heels. High heels!? Seriously, who wears high heels to trudge around campus all day? Apparently everyone but me. Maybe its some weird east coast thing, I dunno. I don't think I ever saw one person in high heeled shoes during my 4 years at Cuesta. I feel like a different breed of student. What happened to jeans and hooded sweatshirts? That was my uniform at Cuesta. I spose the weather is too hot for the sweatshirt part right now, but I feel so under-dressed in class with my khaki capris and flip flops, sans makeup and loads of jewelry....and high heels. And short denim skirts are EVERYWHERE. Granted, they are a fashion trend at the moment, but they are so un-practical for school, only for the fact that no matter how you sit someone can see up your skirt. Skanks Unite For Fashion! What is happening? I can see how this would go on in high school, its all about impressing people and making the right friends. But I thought by the time we reached college, a REAL 4-year University, that people would figure out it didnt matter. People would realize that you are going to class to learn and get your degree, not have a fashion show between classes. I find it utterly ridiculous. Besides, I would rather sleep an extra 30 minutes than get up early to apply loads of makeup and style my hair "just so" and pick out coordinating accesories.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i say fuck them.. throw on some overalls and call it a day! That would be my vote... but them again i am biased to the overalls :)